Thursday, November 6, 2008

MAYTAG ?

I have several sewing projects going on right now so yesterday I decided to set my sewing machine up on my dining room table so that I could be closer to the laundry room to begin my weekly washing. If I get to sewing in the sewing/computer room I sorta forget about the wash and it takes forever to get it finished.
I started a small load of a couple of fragile pieces in the wash and while it was rinsing I decided to go check my email. I was on the computer for about 30 minutes when I started smelling something burning. At first I thought that it may be my computer. Then I turned to look out into the hall way and I could see smoke. I jump up and start searching and trying to find the source while thinking what to haul out of the house first or should I call the fire department. I follow the smoke and smell thru the house to the laundry room where my furnace is also. I couldn't tell at first where it was coming from. I lifted the lid on my washer and it was still full of water and was not making any sound. I checked the knob, pushed and pulled on it and nothing happened. My heart is racing as fast as my mind. I immediately unplug the washer, and I turned and checked the breaker box to see it maybe the breaker had switched off.
I called Danny and we were trying to figure out what to do and decided to call a good friend of ours to come and check it out. I have about 5 or 6 loads of clothes to wash and my machine, a MAYTAG which is only 3 1/2 years old decides she doesn't want to work anymore. GGRRRR!!
The friend of ours gets here right after Danny gets home and he says that the motor and transmission both have just burned up. I google Maytag (you know the one where the service man has nothing to do because MAYTAG supposedly NEVER Breaks down?) to see if there had been any recalls on this particular washer and there hadn't been but .............there were at lot of people who had the same problem with this same washer having the motor and transmission burn up. They all came from Home Depot, just like mine did. I called Maytag and Home Depot to see if there was anything that could be done from either of them, for instance fixing it or swapping it out and they both came back with a Big Fat NO!!!
I guess I'll get down my little scrub board that I have displayed on top of my kitchen cupboard and start scrubbing. I refuse to haul all this laundry to the laundrymat.
Does anyone have a GOOD washer they don't need anymore? If so , give me a holler!!

4 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

You can bring them over here! Uumm...I do live next door.


Word Verifaction:
cowgort

Nicole said...

YES... my mom's brother passed away almost a year ago... my mom is trying to sell his stuff.. and guess what!? there's a washer (and dryer)... she thinks its a GE... $100 for the washer!

Nanci said...

I'll be praying that the Lord provides (as He surely will). It is certainly a blessing that no other damage was done.

Shionge said...

I know the 'agony' when my washer was down Vickie ;(